Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Overtaking Rules... Do we have any?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Overtaking Rules... Do we have any?

Post by HCR TJSteel on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:10 am

As many of you may have noticed I seem to always just hand out easy overtakes to everyone (Hopefully not in Round 6 of Wobblebox's, Tried my best to keep you all behind)

To combat this I looked around online for some rules/guidelines on what is deemed fair to make an overtake or defend your position without causing collisions and to make sure that by defending I was not going to break any obvious rules (blocking). I also wanted to know who's responsibility a collision would be if it were to happen so that I can try my best not to cause an collision myself.

I could not find any set rules on who's responsibility it is during a manoeuvre to ensure that there are no collisions on XPLR.

From looking online what I've found is that its normally the responsibility of the attacking driver to make sure that he passes safely without collision.

It is only deemed to be the defenders responsibility if they are being lapped (under blue flag) or if the attacking car is along side the defending car by at least a half car length (attackers front wheel in front of the defenders back wheel) before turn in.

If the attacker is not along side by at least half a car length when the defending car has reached turn in then the defender is entitled to the full racing line and if a collision occurs then this is the full responsibility of the attacking car.

Does the above seem right to everyone else and would it be worthwhile adding this to our race rules?

I can look again for the sites I found this information on or try and provide some examples of good/bad manoeuvre's

HCR TJSteel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overtaking Rules... Do we have any?

Post by HaydieT on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:06 am

When defending you're allowed one defensive move so long as you leave enough space for the attacking. Best example of this in F1 races when the car behind has the drs open trying to get past.

And for overtaking you can go for any gap you feel you can safely put the car and you can not depart from the track (2 wheels must be on the track at all times)

XPLR - XBOX Pro League Racing
If you wish to submit a stewards inquiry please do so by clicking >>here<<
HaydieT
XPLR STIG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spunge84 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:41 am

Hi Mad Dog,

In principle, i agree with what you're saying above, however i really think that you have to be careful when considering a distinct set of rules.

There are so many different grey areas within racing especially when everyone is as close as i have found you all to be since joining.

I think that the main problem when considering If black and white rules should be brought in for every aspect of racing is the risk of diluting the racing itself. If people are too scared to battle then it will end up with everyone just handing places to each other. There is also a flip side too, people can get smart to black and white rules and use them to trap people into getting penalties. For example, if someone is leading a race, under intense pressure from the guy behind, a cheeky early brake and a turn in might be all they need to get the other person out of the way (Similar to the Prost and Senna - Japanse GP incident?)

I really think that the current system of "common sense" driving backed up by a set of stewards who are there to investigate when racing does become a little "intimate" that you have works really well for you on the site (first page article about no inquiries for a while is testament to this).

I would also say that, from the few races that i have had the pleasure of being a part of so far, the set of lads you have on here are exceptional at understanding what is and what isn't racing.

I agree with the "1 Maneuver" rule from formula 1, but also don't forget the rule allows for 1 Move and for that person to then make his/her way back to the racing line (as long as it is safe to do so). It doesnt mean that if someone goes from racing line to middle of the track, that they have to hold that exact position on the track all the way up to the corner.

James

Spunge84

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyT306 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:56 am

AndyT306 wrote:Race Conduct

1. A driver may not gain or maintain any position or time as a result of any departure. If this does happen the incident will be investigated by the stewards.

2. Drivers must ensure that 2 wheels remain in contact with the circuit at all times, exceeding this limit through excessive use of run off areas or cutting corners will result in action from the race stewards.

3. A driver may not consistently depart from a particular part of the course - any such action may be penalised by the race stewards.

4. Drivers must always ensure that when rejoining the circuit after any departure (Including pit stops) they do so in a safe and considerate manner, in all circumstances yielding to any approaching competitors travelling at race pace.

5. Drivers will never be penalised for departing the track in the event of an accident.

6. Drivers must not block during the race. Blocking is deemed to be making more than one defensive action across the track to protect their race position. Any infringement of this rule will be investigated by the stewards.

7. Drivers must give way when being lapped by another competitor on a higher lap than themselves. If the driver being lapped is actively battling with another competitor, all parties MUST hold position until the lapping car has safely passed. In all circumstances, drivers are asked to show consideration to the lapping car and to yield as safely as possible.

8. Unless due to an accident or human error, no driver may drive the wrong way up the track. If due to error then the driver must use the safest route possible to rejoin the track.
Offenders with no reason/defence will be banned with immediate effect from all races pending further investigation.

9. If a driver misses the pit lane entrance for any reason they must continue their lap on track and may not reverse or turn around as this would result in an infringement of the previous rule.

10. Drivers who make unnecessary or unusual manoeuvres in order to be unsporting will be penalised pending a steward investigation.

11. All drivers must follow the instructions of the lobby host in qualifying and race sessions.

12. Team orders may be used as long as they do not infringe any of the other rules.

13. While racing, verbal notifications between drivers are allowed but it is preferred to keep any talk to a minimum as some drivers find this off putting and may result in an avoidable incident.

AndyT306
Co Founder

View user profile http://www.xboxproleagueracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HCR TJSteel on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Too scared to battle... that sounds like me when I first started on here.

I made sure I read the rules before making that post but was just wo dering if there were a set of rules for overtaking that I may have missed Smile

I always seem go let people down my inside and give room but when I tried I was always being turned in on when I tried.

Oh and Sponge.. check my post in the tarmac terrors. Looking for a team if you want me.

HCR TJSteel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by XPR Goldie on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:06 pm

I don't wont too seem like I am taking the p*** what happens if a guy has been lapped in the pit and starts to catch the race leader due to say fresher tyres than the race leader ?? Is he able to un lap himself ?? It's just a question I think that needs to be asked Very Happy

XPR Goldie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyT306 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:12 pm

motorsport rules allow a lapped driver to unlap himself... however he must be pretty much quicker as any delay caused to the leader following the overtake could be called as a blue flag

i con't think this situation has ever arisen, the tyre wear dynamics of forza arn't that serious

AndyT306
Co Founder

View user profile http://www.xboxproleagueracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post by XPR Goldie on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:34 pm

It's just something I wanted to clear up, thank you andy

XPR Goldie

View user profile

Back to top Go down